6.06.2007

Ultra Vivid Scene and Cocteau Twins

Or how I downloaded 71 songs in less than twenty minutes!!!!! Yup it was eighties night chez Bibliotheker. Delightful dream pop from the late eighties and early nineties. I got my hands on UVS' Joy: 1967 - 1990 and wow. I had completely forgotten what a wonderful record that was. Just missed it at the time. I was listening to My Bloody Valentine alot and I'm sure I was just too caught up in their more power rock/pop. Oh well, what can I say. Joy is just a pure pop delight, genius? Maybe but what caught my ear was I kept hearing little bits of Andrian Belew type guitar chops in the songs and that gave a bit of quirky King Crimson touches and when combined with some the obvious Lou Reed and MBV touches creates something that I now hear as far more unique than I thought. Just a really fun, rich, and intriguing sonic mix.



Next up Cocteau Twins. So I downloaded Lullabies to Violaine, Vols. 1 and 2 and well that was 59 songs right there, yikes. 59 Cocteau Twins songs what was I thinking!!! But hey in all honesty it takes that many songs to do justice to this band. This is all the eps and singles from '82 and '96. It shows just how much this band changed and grew over the years. Well what can I say that probably hasn't been said before. If you like dreamy pop music that is well crafted, rich in ideas, and subversive in quiet ways than check these guys out.

No comments: